Vegetable soup with mince
1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
250 g lean beef mince
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcester sauce
2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, grated
3 celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock (p15) or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
8 cups (2 litres) water
½ x 500 g packet dried soup mix
2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry mince until golden brown. Soon meat out and drain oﬀ any excess fat.
- Add rest of the oil and fry onion and garlic in the same pot with paprika, coriander and herbs.
3. Add mince and Worcester sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except the garam
masala, lemon juice and pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer, with a lid, over a low heat for about 2 hours or until the soup mix is thick. Stir every now and
- Add the remaining ingredients and serve warm.