Spicy red lentil and vegetable soup
Spicy Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder or to taste
- 8 cups (2 litres) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked red lentils
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onions, ginger and spices.
- Add water, lentils, carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add tomatoes, herbs and salt and heat through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and remember not to add extra salt at the table.
If you liked this post, I would really appreciate that if you really try this recipe at you home and share your experience about this recipe, if you find this recipe interesting, pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the ” like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons or “Pin it” button below the post. Thank you!